2/3 cup macadamia nuts (about 3½ ounces)
1 ounce fine quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
½ cup sugar
¾cup heavy cream
- In a baking pan toast nuts in one layer in middle of oven until golden, about 10 minutes, and cool. Finely chop nuts and chocolate separately.
- In a dry heavy saucepan cook sugar over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a fork to help sugar melt evenly), until melted and pale golden.
- Cook caramel, without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully add cream down side of pan (mixture will bubble and steam).
- Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, until caramel is dissolved. Stir in chocolate and nuts.
- Cool sauce 10 minutes and in a food processor blend until smooth.
Serve sauce warm. Sauce may be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat sauce to warm before serving.