1 lb haricorts verts (thin French green beans) or green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces.
2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
2 tbsp white-wine vinegar
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
1 ½ cups crumbled feta (about 10 oz)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Fille a 4-quart kettle three fourths full of salted water and bring to a boil for beans and orzo.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Quarter and seed tomatoes
- Cut quarter lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in oil over moderated heat until onion is softened. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Have a ready bowl of ice and cold water.
- In boiling salted water blanch beans 1 minute. With a slotted spoon transfer beans to ice water to stop cooking.
- Drain beans well in a colander and pat dry. Add beans to tomato mixture and return water in kettle to a boil. Boil orzo until al dente and drain in colander.
- Add orzo to bean mixture with vinegar. Add parsley, feta, and salt and pepper to taste, tossing to combine well.