Sour Cream & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Another turn on spicing up mashed potatoes, this is pretty classic stuff. Darned simple to make and a little more elegant, if decadent in its cholesterol. Frankly, you might be pleasantly surprised with the results if you chose to substitute some of the new tofu based sour cream in this recipe. Buy the best prepared horseradish you can find, as that's what makes the dish.
2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (unpeeled)
½ cup whole milk
½ stick (4 tbsp) butter
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain well; cool slightly. Peel and mash potatoes; place in large saucepan.
- Over medium heat, dry out potatoes for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in small saucepan until warm.
- Stir butter into potatoes. Add warm milk and stir until completely absorbed.
- Whisk sour cream, chopped chives, and horseradish in medium bowl.
- Fold sour cream mixture into potatoes. Season with salt.